March 8, 2009

Davey Jones' lockers





Its still Sunday, so I made it. Barely. But look what I got done this week.

The top pieces are now mounted on both these storage units. The thing on the wall is apparently called a "cleat" in the design business. It will serve as an anchor point for the back of the storage unit tops tying them to the wall and shoring up those cool looking shelfs which I made from poplar planks and lengths of galley rail. I REALLY like how they look. The far sides of the surface tops will also sport some of that railing later in the week to kind of tie it all together.

Remember those scrolls from way back? I originally painted them a gold color but Marsha correctly labeled them too "kingly" a color for this room so I went with an aged copper treatment instead which really goes well with the mahogany stain. The posts and scrolly things across the front are removable too so I won't have to work around them when I need a lot of counter space. Just pop 'em out and go.

I'll have to figure it out exactly but I bet I will have twice the counter space in here when I'm done as we have in our kitchen and I think I will actually have an excess of storage for a while too but as I start building models again alot of that will get eaten up.

Next up I have an old school Victorian looking chair I am going to attempt to reupholster. I know...Good Luck! Hopefully it will look good AND be useful and comfortable as the computer chair but I will have an eye to a backup plan should it not work out. Beanbags.

No, not really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You been busy, bro'. As usual!
Jeffty