March 23, 2009

Captains Chair





Progress was slow this week due to a busy birthday schedule which included a trip to Joes Crab Shack for a bucket O' crab and a dessert of frozen crepe bananas foster instead of Mr. Lands' "pudding" of sauté of unborn octopus. Delightful!

What I DID acomplish was to take apart that old chair which was full of hundred year old dust, horsehair for cushions and something that looked like dried lawn clippings. Made quite a mess. Fortunately I kept all the fabric to use as templates for cutting new ones and will be substituting modern day cushy foam cut to size for the packing.

It took a couple tries to strip off all the old varnish and another couple coats of stain to get it looking good again. I will give it a further couple coats of glossy polyurethane shortly. When that dries I'll cut the foam and fabric and tack it all back together into what I hope will be a serviceable computer chair.

(NOTE) Everything I have said previously about the computer desk portion of this project please disregard. While I had measured everything correctly and laid it out just so in my mind, I just didn't like the looks of the modified store bought desk next to my storage units so I decided to go for a built-in type thing based loosely on a table I spied in one of the movie stills I refer to as I go through this project. It will be stained to match the wood of the chair and shelves and should look sweet. The computer case and all the cords will be hidden as well.

I'm also excited to have ordered the round skylight to serve as my "salon" window which should look totally awesome when I'm done with it.

Stay tuned sports fans...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

It would be cool to mate your current chair from the seat up to an antique desk chair with rollers, reclining mech, etc. I've got an old desk chair but it screams Bob Cratchet, not Capt. Nemo.

Are you going to work up a gold "N" for the detail area at the top of the chair back?

Paul

BoomerFunker said...

Awaiting your ass planting Sir, and why yes Paul, I think if i can find some of that rub on gold foil in a properly sized "scripty" font I could get an "N" on that chair.

Tom