December 7, 2008

Plot me a course to the island of Crespo








Well now THAT map looks a lot better!

It went together quite well the 2nd time around. For scale I should tell you that the whole thing is five and a half feet by around four feet. This one is laminated and that process has made the colors a little richer than the first map plus it is easier for the magnets to slide over. Each of the magnets has a twin on the back side holding it in place. A decorative button adorns the top magnets which ride over the maps' surface and are attached using two-part epoxy.

The magnets are powerful enough to follow each other when the top one gets moved so they can be placed over a ships plan at will keeping things firmly in place for taking reference measurements or just general study. If I pull the top magnet too far away and the inner one drops there is a lip catching them on the inside and its just a matter of hovering over the right spot till you hear the "click" of magnet mating. It really does work slicker than I thought it would.

The skinny window has gotten its deep-sea frame attached and looks as nautical as a long skinny window is apt to look. To the right and in the other three corners I have put up the last of the riveted strips. I thought they needed to be a little smaller for some variety and they still need a little weathering yet. Next up is the big window where I will be going for the glowing "alligator" eyes look.

That should get the neighbors a little more nervous than they already are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it. And Harder plans too -- very nice touch! Hate to say it, but all the room's gonna lack is a great big Nautilus model. Someday when I'm driving cross-country with mine (to the SubRegatta, to Paul's, whatever) I think I'm gonna have to stop in merely for room photo-ops.

Jeffty