December 14, 2008

Dark side of the Room Part 1




What we have here is the result of a series of compromises. The main problem was converting a 4 by 3 foot square window into something resembling one of the bulbous domes from the Nautilus. Since I had angeled this wall using a sloping false wall I had to create a piece to match that slope, evoke "roundness", and still allow for the main insert to be removable, in case of fire or whatnot.

Picture one shows the insert. It sets inside and upon a small frame inside the window sill area. It is also attached with two ring bolts that have been darkened to blend better. The unpainted circular area in the center will be cut away and an acrylic convex dome coming inside into the room with a diameter of about 2 feet will go in which will hopefully provide enough light for normal functions. The insert does not go all the way to the top you may notice. This is because this south facing wall gets very hot in summer and I wanted the air to be able to move freely. I can still see the top of the main window too so more hidey work needs done.

Picture two shows the hood installed. I just now figured out whats bothering me. The three inch strip needs replicated on both sides of the hood for continuity with the insert. That will make me happier about it.

Last picture is a treatment for the section below the window sill. It is a half-moon shape that will sport that fanciful scroll piece from Hobby Lobby hopefully breaking up the window area still further.

I am waiting to order the dome for a while so it will stay ugly for now. I am hoping to have the "eye" lighted using solar pathway lights.

In the meantime track lighting for the ceiling and closet flooring.

2 comments: