November 23, 2008

Dumbasses of the Caribbean




That would be me.

I was looking forward to posting about my FINISHED map/plan holder but I had a terrible disaster in the making of Map version 01. I will be putting up a HUGE map of the Caribbean on the east wall that will double (with the help of powerful magnets) as a ships plan holder for easy reference. All very well, so I took the map spray glued it extra flat to the backer board and wanting that old world varnished look began Modge-Podging all over the top to seal it and give it some brush strokes. The map began popping up and wrinkling everywhere and since the glue was beginning to make the paper stiff I couldn't pull it taut again. Total Disaster! I removed the old map and took two hours sanding off the glue residue to re-use the board for map Version 02, which will be fully laminated and I have done away with the vanished look idea altogether.

It just shows that not everything works as planned and a project like this has lots of steps back as well as forward.

The first image is the hull frames, painted, and with some decorative flourishes I've molded from wood masters that I will be painting and gluing onto them to add that extra touch so they aren't so plain looking. The second and third images are of the map backer and the gilded frame which is now ready for installation when the new map arrives.

The frames are going up next then the map. Stay tuned...

No comments: