May 30, 2008

A riveting update





Rosie here.

I have been busy running some riveted straps across the ceiling. Its kind of a surprisingly labor intensive part of the project. Each one is primed then needs two coats of paint and then finally a light weathering before it can go up. It looks pretty neat up there but by itself not much of a blog update.

However, tonight I finished up the first rough hull frame of which there will be four running across the room on those straps I put up previously. I used masonite for the cutting guides clamping and sawing both halves together for uniformity. To insure they lined up I screwed them together over the rough cut pink foam with 3 inch bolts before using a variety of hot wire cutters to cut out the frame shape.

I will repeat his process 3 more times for these. There will be "beams" across the center and smaller curved frames on the far side. Hopefully when painted they will all look like rusty metallic steel.

Till next time I won't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an admitted connoisseur of rivets, may I say you have definitely nailed the look, my friend? Wonderful! Can't wait to see more!

Jeff