March 19, 2008

Attack of the pink tentacle Part 2



Well the rivet making is done. I finished sanding them today. I now have over 600 of the little buggers waiting to get placed along the door frame and corners of the room to eventually help create the illusion of riveted steel. But first, and next on the to-do-list comes the messiest, and least fun step. All the walls are textured which has to be sanded off and smoothed up since "steel" isn't bumpy. Not looking forward to this part...

Pictured is the product I used to cast the rivets. It has a really low odor and a pot life of only 3 minutes, but it is ready to de-mold in only 10 minutes so its quick. The silicone was brand called Silpak. It is very tough and flexable and also had little odor as it cured. I got both from Van Dykes taxidermy which is owned by Cabelas so I got an employee price on it. That was the extent of my "research" The half-sphere masters are from Michaels Craft stores and come in a 4 pack. I got 48 of them for the mold

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the project when it's done. Great idea! I'm going to bookmark your blog and check back!

PaulC said...

Tom,

Smooth-On makes some good stuff. I use their Task 2 for resin parts. It's a bit sensitive to humidity but I'm thinking that's not the same kind of issue for you as it is for me.

Regarding wall texture: a little roughness can give a 3-D feel to simulated rusting. Unless you're going for the as-built look.

BoomerFunker said...

Thanks Master! I'll post again after this ugly stage I'm doing...

Hey Paul, I was very happy with the smooth on product. if it paints as well as it sets up were in business.
The walls will still retain a little roughness just not the "welts" and I'm hoping to achieve some kind of wash technique to bring out that 3d you mention. Its going to look used.