December 22, 2009

A light in da pipe






Hah! I love it when a plan comes together...

I did get held up a bit trying to figure out how to cut the tubes to fit. You see one end is at a 45 degree angle because of the false wall and the all other cuts would need to be straight up and down. What I came up with was a cutting "jig" that I could set to any angle I wanted and would hold the tube still while I sawed it in half. It worked like a champ. Sometimes if you don't already have the right tool, you can make it.

The "pipe" is up there and its working now. I still have a few touch ups here and there. The main one will be covering all those screw holes with some same painted rivets. You can also still see the white from the track lighting unit itself so a little camouflage in the form of some carefully applied paint will be in order once the current blizzard passes. Stupid winter.

The cord and switch will be handled next. The switch will be a dimmer with one of the wheels I cast way back mounted on it. The cord will be in a run painted a brass color. This should be a cool way of turning on those overheads.

But right now I'd like to bring it down a little. Mellow out our groove some. And sincerely wish you all a joyous Christmas and a great New Year! Make it count!

And thanks for the support you have all given me over the years. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, Tom, amazing! Or rather, ingenious! Both the tool AND the results, that is.... I couldn't quite make out what you meant about those angles, nor could I see the white of the track lighting you mentioned, but I very much hope to have you point out to me where these things WERE someday in person. It'll happen. Meanwhile, those big pipes are pure Nautilus exterior color, and with a lovely weathering touch. Obviously, I'm gonna need to consult with you about the paint scheme of MY riveted boat!

Jeffty